4 A BETTER MORNING
4 A BETTER MORNING™ is a preventative supplement that can help ease the uncomfortable after-effects of drinking. Made with naturally occurring ingredients, Better Morning can help you sleep better, wake up with a clearer head, and boost your energy to help you start your day.
Theacrine is a naturally occurring alkaloid that is extracted from tea leaves (Camellia assamica). It is similar to caffeine and can act as a nootropic, which promotes cognitive function. It has also been studied for its effects on energy level, mood, and fatigue. One study found taking theacrine significantly improved energy, focus and concentration in healthy volunteers.
N-acetyl L-tyrosine (NALT) is a form of the amino acid tyrosine that is made naturally in the body. While humans are capable of making the amino acid, supplementing it can offer nootropic effects, such as promoting cognitive function, improving mood, and boosting energy. NALT is also a precursor to the neurotransmitter dopamine, which can help improve cognition. All in all, NALT may help you get a jumpstart on your mornings after drinking alcohol.
Acetyl-L carnitine (ALC) is a derivative of the amino acid L-carnitine, which plays an important role in energy production in the body’s cells. ALC has been studied for its effects on cognitive function (mainly in older adults with mental decline), heart health, and more. However, it may also be useful in relieving fatigue, both physically and mentally. While the results from these studies are promising, they still need to be replicated in healthy, young adult volunteers to determine their efficacy in this group.
Vitamin B1, also known as thiamine, belongs to the group of B vitamins that helps break down carbohydrates into glucose. This helps the body get the energy it needs and can help metabolize protein and fats. A thiamine deficiency can cause fatigue, headaches, nausea, and irritability. Supplementing with this vitamin may help treat fatigue, boost energy, and prevent headaches.
Another ingredient found in Better Morning is methylcobalamin, which is a natural form of vitamin B12. If you have low vitamin B12 levels, supplementing it in your diet can boost energy levels and relieve symptoms of fatigue.
Green Tea Extract
Green tea extract is taken from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant, and it is known for its numerous health benefits. Green tea extract contains several natural compounds, such as caffeine and L-theanine, which can work synergistically to improve brain function. L-theanine has also been found to improve the activity of GABA, a neurotransmitter associated with anti-anxiety effects and relaxation.
White Willow Bark Extract
Compounds found in white willow bark extract have been shown to promote healthy levels of inflammation and can be used to treat headaches, fevers, and more. It is traditionally used as a pain reliever because it contains the active ingredient salicin. When ingested, salicin is converted into the same compound that is found in aspirin.
- Suliman NA, Taib CNM, Moklas MAM, Adenan MI, Baharuldin MTH, Basir R. Establishing Natural Nootropics: Recent Molecular Enhancement Influenced by Natural Nootropic. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2016;2016:4391375.
- Ziegenfuss TN, Habowski SM, Sandrock JE, Kedia AW, Kerksick CM, Lopez HL. A Two-Part Approach to Examine the Effects of Theacrine (TeaCrine) Supplementation on Oxygen Consumption, Hemodynamic Responses, and Subjective Measures of Cognitive and Psychometric Parameters. J Diet Suppl. 2017;14(1):9-24.
- Bloemendaal M, Frobose MI, Wegman J, Zanbelt BB, van de Rest O, et al. Neuro-Cognitive Effects of Acute Tyrosine Administration on Reactive and Proactive Response Inhibition in Healthy Older Adults. eNeuro. 2018;5(2):ENEURO.0035-17.2018.
- Fernstrom JD, Fernstrom MH. Tyrosine, phenylalanine, and catecholamine synthesis and function in the brain. J Nutr. 2007;137(6 Suppl 1):1539S-1547S; discussion 1548S.
- Malaguarnera M, Cammalleri L, Gargante MP, Vacante M, Colonna V, Motta M. L-Carnitine treatment reduces severity of physical and mental fatigue and increases cognitive functions in centenarians: a randomized and controlled clinical trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;86:1738-44.
- Mount Sinai. Vitamin B1 (Thiamine). n.d. https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/supplement/vitamin-b1-thiamine
- Huijts M, Duits A, Staals J, van Oostenbrugge RJ. Association of vitamin B12 deficiency with fatigue and depression after lacunar stroke. PLoS One. 2012;7(1):e30519.
- Nathan PJ, Lu K, Gray M, Oliver C. The neuropharmacology of L-theanine(N-ethyl-L-glutamine): a possible neuroprotective and cognitive enhancing agent. J Herb Pharmacother. 2006;6(2):21-30.
- Kelly SP, Gomez-Ramirez M, Montesi JL, Foxe JJ. L-theanine and caffeine in combination affect human cognition as evidenced by oscillatory alpha-band activity and attention task performance. J Nutr. 2008 Aug;138(8):1572S-1577S.
- Dodd FL, Kennedy DO, Riby LM, Haskell-Ramsay CF. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study evaluating the effects of caffeine and L-theanine both alone and in combination on cerebral blood flow, cognition and mood. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2015 Jul;232(14):2563-76.
- Vlachojannis J, Magora F, Chrubasik S. Willow species and aspirin: different mechanism of actions. Phytother Res. 2011;25(7):1102-4.
- Shara M, Stohs SJ. Efficacy and Safety of White Willow Bark (Salix alba) Extracts. Phytother Res. 2015;29(8):1112-6.